Ajoleblon...A Cajun Tale

My photo
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
This journal is a bunch of rants about nothing. Mostly lighthearted happenings in the life of a woman who is very simple and who wants for nothing but greatly appreciates whatever is given. You will find nothing profound here but hopefully something that will make you laugh and that's what I enjoy doing most. Being humorous. Fight all error, but do it with good humor, patience, kindness, and love. Harshness will damage your own soul and spoil the best cause.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

911

My recollection of 9/11/01 started out as a joke which turned into the most horrible thing imaginable to happen to the United States of America.  I'm not making light of this event..I'm just telling exactly what occurred in my world prior to the realization of what truly happened.

My best friend Bill was very famous for taking news items and twisting them into something he did. We played this little game often. That morning I had just arrived at my desk and got a call from Bill...

He was whispering "Sharlene, don't tell anyone but I just flew my plane into the World Trade Center"

I said "Huh?"

He said "yeah I got my license to fly yesterday and I kinda screwed up"

I laughed and said "what the hell are you talking about?" because apparently I had missed the news before getting into work. Normally I knew what he was talking about.

Before he could tell me anything I heard the buzz of noise from the kitchen where they had turned on the tv and were all gathered around in horror.  Before I arrived in the kitchen I had a chill run down my spine...I just knew this wasn't a small happening.  I believe the truth of it all reverberated around the world without anyone having to say a word. 

I will never forget and amongst all the images I saw in the media...the one that hurt the most was the one they showed of a doll (I think it was a Raggedy Ann )  left abandoned and broken in the rubble.  To me it symbolized how much we lost that day. 

A nation lost it's innocence.

No comments: