Ajoleblon...A Cajun Tale

My photo
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
This journal is a bunch of rants about nothing. Mostly lighthearted happenings in the life of a woman who is very simple and who wants for nothing but greatly appreciates whatever is given. You will find nothing profound here but hopefully something that will make you laugh and that's what I enjoy doing most. Being humorous. Fight all error, but do it with good humor, patience, kindness, and love. Harshness will damage your own soul and spoil the best cause.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Spiritual Dryness

I would like to share something with you guys that touched me tonight.

When Lent began, I had decided I would do as I always do and make at least 3 Masses a week. Lent started almost 4 weeks ago and until tonight I had not made any extra Masses during the week other than the obligatory one on Sunday. Usually I would pray the Rosary every day. Nadda at all this year except when crossing the 18 mile Achafalaya Basin Bridge headed to Baton Rouge and that was only begging God not to allow any wrecks so I wouldn't piss my pants since there's no place to relieve yourself should an accident occur except in bottles or cans left in your car. LOL

Anyway, what has been occurring in me is a total lack of spirituality that is usually somewhat evident within me. I have been battling this for a while and just joyless with my life. I've been praying for God to give me some of myself back. Just a smidgen Lord!  Nadda! Nothing!

Today I decided it was confession time. I get off of work a half an hour early to make confession which has always been held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I get to the church with all my sins. Ready to spill my guts. Nadda! Nothing! Confession is no longer given on Tuesday. Sonavabitch! What am I going to do? But, Mass is still celebrated so I wait for Mass to begin, looking upon the cross, begging the Good Lord to give me something back. I’m just totally dry spiritually.

Mass, begins and when it came time for the sermon, the very first words out of the mouth of the Priest was.

"In every Christians life there comes a time where the Soul goes through a darkness where there seems to be nothing left within you. A spiritual darkness. This is God preparing you for a higher meaning to your faith. He is showing you what it feels like to long and miss him.  To know and realize what you are missing"

OMG...knock me on my ass! The flood arrived. The tears flowed. Damned if God didn’t speak to me! I’m not 100% yet, but it damned sure showed me that  he definitely listens when I talk. :)

Okay, I'm finished cursing now....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you're saying.  I can identify.

Anonymous said...

OMG!  I have been going through the SAME THING!  I remember my instantaneous response to someone telling me to pray about a problem I had was, "That never works!"  I couldn't believe those thoughts ran through my mind!  How DARE I?  That time when I begged God not to let me have a migraine, and that other time when I begged Him to keep my bladder infection from hurting for just 5 minutes...He pulled through!  This entry really was the what I needed to keep me going.  Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love it when God talks to us like that!!!! I will continue to pray that He keeps working in you.  Linda

Anonymous said...

God always gives you what you need (which isn't always what YOU think you need, but He knows best...), and this time He also gave you what you wanted! Great feeling, isn't it.

http://www.classyof68.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

God does do that doesn't he?  I have been negligent in attending church for the last few years, even though my spirtuality is still very strong and intact.  But.. when I do go.. it's like, whatever was praying on my mind, seems to come right out of that preachers mouth, and brings me to tears, because it's as if he is speaking directly to me.  Amazing how God works, isn't it>?

Love ya sista,

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I tend to be careful about what I ask from god.....the last time I did, I asked for patience and he has been torturing me ever since! (ha ha)

Chris
http://inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings.blogspot.com/